Sunday, February 21, 2010

School Book Sunday (2)

This is just a special review that I make into a feature once I've finished a book I've been reading for school.


Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte



SYNOPSIS:
(From bn.com)
Orphaned at an early age, Jane Eyre leads a lonely life until she finds work as a governess at Thornfield Hall, where she meets the mysterious Mr. Rochester and sees a ghostly woman who roams the halls by night. This is a story of passionate love, travail and final triumph. The relationship between the heroine and Mr. Rochester is only one episode, albeit the most important, in a detailed fictional autobiography in which the author transmuted her own experience into high art. In this work the plucky heroine is outwardly of plain appearance, but possesses an indomitable spirit, a sharp wit and great courage. She is forced to battle against the exigencies of a cruel guardian, a harsh employer and a rigid social order which circumscribes her life and position.
MY REVIEW:
Okay so this was my first time ready a book by any of the Bronte sisters (I can't get the accented e so don't yell at me). And I really enjoyed Jane Eyre. I had/ have to read this book for my research paper for my English class (and I picked the longest book by the way). One of the many reasons I picked this book is because I actually owned it and just hadn't picked it up. It's another case of it's been sitting on the shelf and I just don't want to read it, because it sounds boring books. But Jane Eyre wasn't boring. Okay the beginning was with her aunt and her telling her background story but once she went to the school the story started to move it got better. But of coarse Charlotte had to kill the one person I liked in the beginning, but oh well.

Jane was an interesting character, as a women in society she was looked down upon for her being an "orphan", even though she had rich relatives. While also she was suppressed by the men in her life.  (AKA my papers topic: Suppression of Jane and the Reflection of Victorian Society or something like that at this stage I'm beginning to forget stuff from stress so yes, It might not be that topic.) I for some reason liked Mr. Rochester, in away your supposed to see him as the bad guy but I just couldn't bring myself to hate him. Rochester is just a guy that had something bad happen to him and then just tried to go on with his life with out getting ride of the hate he held. I really liked, Adele, the girl and Rochester's daughter that Jane ends up being a governess for. Adele was interesting to me for a couple of reasons, but for one bring French into the story, while also keeping Jane entertained with her antics.

There was one thing I didn't like about the book, and that was the ending. Ms. Bronte summed the book up fine, its just I felt I needed more. I don't know what more I need but I just needed some more. I actually enjoyed this book, while I know some others hated. I liked the mystery romance and deception (as it says on my copy of the book) that the book entailed.

By the way, my research paper is a criticism of a book, Jane Eyre for me, so I chose Historical and Feminism criticism. I'm going to do a mash of the too. So please wish me luck. Also this paper is due in March so ya more stress!!!!!! Sorry I'm stressed out as it is right now.

1 Loud Comments:

nymfaux said...

I LOVE this Feature of yours!!!!!!!! Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorite books!!!!!! Hope your paper went well! If so, you may want to keep it around--A friend of mine did her college Thesis on Charlotte Bronte and the feminist perspective of Jane Eyre.

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a "loud" comment, I read every single one. And take any feed back into consideration.