Tuesday, February 2, 2010

O, JULIET by Robin Maxwell (Review)

SYNOPSIS:
(From Robin Maxwell)
Before Juliet Capelletti lie two futures:  a traditionally loveless marriage to her father's business partner, or the fulfillment of her poetic dreams, inpired by the great Dante.  Unlike her beloved friend Lucrezia, who looks forward to her arranged marriage into the Medici dynasty, Juliet has a wild, romantic imagination that takes flight in the privacy of her bedchamber and on her garden balcony.

Her life and destiny are forever changed when Juliet meets Romeo Monticecco, a soulful young man seeking peace between their warring families.  A dreamer himself, Romeo is unstoppable, once he determines to capture the heart of the remarkable woman foretold in his stars.

MY REVIEW:
Right now I'm sitting in awe at this book. Robin Maxwell changed the semi-confusing play from Shakespeare that I didn't hate but actually loved reading my freshman year in high school with my much hate English Teacher, into something of an easy and great retelling of one of the best known romance couplings ever. O, JULIET was a clever retelling of the story and a great invention on the original Shakespearean play, Romeo and Juliet.

Mrs. Maxwell caught the exact romance of the two lovers in a way that anyone including, myself, can find astounding. Between the poems from Dante or the two lovers own script I was enveloped in the story. Taking my time I tried to suck in every word that Romeo and Juliet told each other. And from the first meeting on I couldn't wait to read on and find when they next meet, either it be in secret or at a party it didn't matter.

The way Juliet and Romeo were pictured in the book was the way I always saw the two pictured in the Shakespearean play, but it seems more more vivid to me now through the retelling in O,JULIET. Juliet, in this wonderful retelling  was one of those girls that needed to be in the present day century where she belonged, instead of where she was. And Romeo the same, especially since he hated fighting (in a way) and that was a constant revelation then.There are some things that are different from the original play but those things are good. Including Juliet's best friend Lucrezia who is an amazing well crafted character based off of Lucrenzi Tournabuoni de'Medici a real person, who was famous for her support for the arts in the Renaissance age and for her two grandchildren who  became the Pope.

This book is a must read for 2010. And is a clever new spin on Romeo and Juliet.  Everyone has read Romeo and Juliet but they haven't read it like this yet. That's why I'm encouraging all of you readers to go check this out. Just a warning for some younger readers there are some scenes that you might not want to read because of some sexual content. But even ignoring those scenes this book is amazing!

So go out and buy O, JULIET today! Today Feb 2, 2010 is the official release date for the book. Which reminds me I would like to thank Robin Maxwell and her publisher Catlin for allowing me to receive a finished copy before O, JULIET was released. And I wish the best of luck to Robin on the important release day, which is today!

AUTHOR'S WEBSITES AND BOOKS:
Check here for a scorn of Robin's Books and News:

VIDEO:
For two very special and good videos check out the my first interview ever with Robin here.

0 Loud Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a "loud" comment, I read every single one. And take any feed back into consideration.