Sunday, January 17, 2010

School Books Sundays (1)



Okay so the idea around this some what meme or every couple of month post, is for me to review a book that I have been reading for school. There really is no rules just review the book like you would a normal one so ya. If you want to also feature this as something on your blog could you comment a link, if popular enough I'll get a Mr. Linky.


The Crucible by Arthur Miller
The Crucible (Penguin Classics Series) by Arthur Miller: Book Cover


SYNOPSIS:
The story focuses upon a young farmer, his wife, and a young servant-girl who maliciously causes the wife's arrest for witchcraft. The farmer brings the girl to court to admit the lie- and it is here that the monstrous course of bigotry and deceit is terrifying depicted. The farmer, instead of saving his wife, finds himself also accused of witchcraft and ultimately condemned with a host of others.


MY REVIEW:
The Crucible by Arthur Miller is really an interesting play if you look at it. Miller captured a hysteria that was happening in the 1950's with the McArthur Communist scare perfectly in comparison to the Witch Trial scare in the late 1600s. With the Crucible there was one character I hated which was Abigail Williams, in my mind she was too possessive. As I used in one of the English questions: "She acts like a little girl in a shop wanting that Barbie doll her mom won't let her get." She just was how you you say it a brat that was trying to get a place she wanted. (Okay I should probably stop this Abigail rant.)


Out of all the school books I've read The Crucible and Doctor Zhivago were the only two I could stand to read (I mean Doctor Zhivago actually had a very lovely romance plot.... Sorry darn school system if I love romance books! Get some more!). The Crucible,  not including all those questions I had to do with quote support, wasn't that bad. I actually liked it. Now if only the school system would let us read more modern plays I would be happy with my English class. So all in all I would give The Crucible a 3 on the music note scale. This is because compared to some of the other school books/plays I've read I could actually get through this one pretty easily, and I enjoyed it.


(P.S. I'm not dissing Shakespeare, because I also love his works!)

0 Loud Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a "loud" comment, I read every single one. And take any feed back into consideration.