Monday, January 11, 2010

Madness Manga Mondays (3)

So this is a meme that I have created and is hosting here.

I.O.N.
By Arina Tanemura
I.O.N, Vol. 1 by Arina Tanemura: Book Cover
Number of Volumes: 1
Publisher: Shojo Beat

SYNOPSIS:
Ion Tsuburagi chants the letters of her first name as a charm to bring good luck when she needs it. Then she meets Mikado Hourai, the president of the Psychic Powers Research Society at school, and touches a mysterious substance he's been developing. Now chanting "I-O-N" gives her telekinetic powers.

Self-Portrait of Arina Tanemura
AUTHOR INFORMATION:
Arina Tanemure began her manga career in 1996, when her short stories debuted in Ribon magazin. Tanemura gained fame with the 1997 publication of I-O-N, a high school romance with a supernatural twist. From 1998 to 2000 she worked on the popular series Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, about a young girl who is the reincarnation of Joan of Arc, followed by Time Stranger Kyoko in 2000-2001 and Full Moon in 2002. Despite Tanemura's intentions to draw in a style that makes her stories difficult to animate, both Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Full Moon have been adapted into TV series.

MY REVIEW:
When I first picked up I.O.N I wasn't sure, because the back sounded weird to me. But the fact that Arina was the author of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and I loved that manga series I picked it up. And it wasn't a bad $8.99 spent, I.O.N. was clever and Arina did a great job in having a couple clever characters in such a short story. I found the main character Ion cute and the story behind her powers a little not well written about. But being a Manga you can't always expect a story behind something like that.

A lot of the characters reminded me of Maron and Chiaki from Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Thats though probably because her drawing was similar to that series. In the end I would recommend I.O.N. to any manga fans of Arina, but also of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, because in the end you get the same feelings you would get when you read that series. In the end the only reason I gave it a two on the music note caliber, was because the fact I think the ending needed a little more thought. Being a short story I understand that there is limits, but there could have been a better way possibly to end this story. Also at times the drawing lacked. But all together the story was a fantastic read and I would recommend I.O.N. to anyone.

0 Loud Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a "loud" comment, I read every single one. And take any feed back into consideration.